Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Cost of Art

I went to Michael's today and spent $25 on a really expensive sable brush, one tiny tube of Windsor Newton Hooker's Green and some cheap arcrylic paint that I need for a poster painting project at temple. Being an artist is expensive. A classmate at Fullerton College conviced me that I needed a good sable brush to do the flatwashes correctly. My current brush set is mostly good synthetic and ox hair. The sable is the top of the line. It is supposed to hold paint better in the natural fibers. Sable is like the mink coat of art brushes. How they make them is supposedly really awful, like the making of fur coats. I did buy just one to see if it is truly better than the synthetic brushes I depend on now. We will see if my flat washes improve...

No comments: